Ineffective, poorly-equipped line managers have a negative impact on an organisation’s performance in a multitude of ways.
- Business strategies not effectively executed because individual work activities are not aligned across the organisation
- Employees de-motivated or dissatisfied because they don’t know what is expected of them and/ or feel they are not being developed as individuals
- Recruitment costs increased because the wrong people are recruited into roles and staff turnover is too high
- An inability to achieve business goals because the workforce lacks the skills and competencies necessary
- Lost output and a negative impact on staff morale because absenteeism or poor performance issues go unchecked
- Costs incurred and negative publicity as a result of poorly-managed disciplinary or grievance issues
Youmanage’s own research has shown that HR Directors are very conscious of the impact that line managers have on HR processes. A recent survey showed that more than 80 per cent believe that employee productivity would increase if their organisation's line managers were better equipped and a similar proportion believe that their HR departments would also be more effective.
Are Traditional Support Methods Enough?
The importance of good management is not a revelation of course. Considerable sums of money are spent by organisations each year in an attempt to equip managers with the information, the knowledge and the skills they need to perform effectively. However, many of the traditional methods of supporting managers have significant limitations.
Is Management Training Remembered?
Traditional management training can be great for skills development but tends to be less effective for knowledge transfer (for example, what a policy says, or what process to follow).
One of the main issues is the time lag between the information being imparted and it being applied.
Knowledge can decay very quickly if not used regularly, unless they have exceptional powers of recall. A manager who has been on a Managing Poor Performance course and then doesn’t have an issue to deal with for 9 months is going to struggle to remember the detail of what they have been taught!
View and download the full whitepaper, How To Improve Line Manager Effectiveness.